leaves burn between lips
as the porch swing creaks
like some distant hammer
pounding thoughts on anchors,
till they're more distinct.
smoke from teeth billows
in the light carried away
by far off winds to be
consume at lights end close by.
but i am here.
still.
the cold air cools feet
through thick socks.
'embrace the night.
embrace the light.'
embrace the chill
slowly warming legs.
wait in silence.
wait in quiet.
wait through
the winter of youth.
well, im rather proud of this one folks. let me know whatcha think!
ReplyDeleteI like this poem very much! I find the lines interesting, "like some distant hammer / pounding thoughts on / anchors, till they're more distinct." It's a very calm, contemplative, and picturesque piece.
ReplyDeletethanks mr dillon :)
ReplyDeleteI like it J. I feel like I read the title and then I read the poem...as I was reading many thought were stirred, this could be about so many things. Then the last lines "wait through the winter of youth" made me stop and remember the title and gave the poem so much more depth. I like it. Nicely told.
ReplyDeleteyeah, that was good. gotta embrace the night and the light, right?
ReplyDeletebut may our youth not be all chill of winter.
check out the "sing winter" video on this site: http://jonathanhelser.com/jonathanhelser/Home.html
ReplyDeleteya, to me this is about maturing. winter of my youth would symbolize coming to the last season of my youth and soon entering the spring of adulthood.
ReplyDeleterather than a frenzy of activity im waiting for the Lrd to do what He said He would do.
a sign of maturing would be embracing the cold instead of running from it or even not noticing it at all. haha
maybe i'll write a 'spring of my adultness' poem.
i'll check this video out later. thanks for the comments guys!