Sunday, February 26, 2012

Part of a story about the moth...

taken from http://www.flwildflowers.com/moth/

And so it was, that when Moses received the word on the mountain, no other human being was there to see. It was there that the Divine revealed his presence. It was there that Moses basked in the divine glory. Yet, he was not allowed to see the face of Hashem, and even his name is not allowed to be spoken. But there was one creature on the mountain that had followed the light and saw everything. It was the little brown moth.

   Hashem saw the moth, a  creature which had been created even before Adam,  
 
    "You had to see it to believe it," said the old man. "The poor moth was fermisht." That means "all shook up"  in Yiddish. 
  
      The moth spoke first, for the language of moths is something  that only the Divine knows. The moth was shaking and frightened and said, “Oh, master of the universe, what will happen to me now that I have seen your face? I did not mean to do so. I am but a poor moth, please have pity on me!” The Divine Master responded,”Oh my little creature. Be not frightened for I will also bless you.  I see that you are a plain moth and perhaps my angels forgot in their haste to provide you with some mark of distinction, as we have done with many of the other moths and butterflies, who can fly like my angels.  

     “You have the miracle of changing from a caterpillar to a moth, but you will also have another miracle that I will give you.”

  “From this time forth, you and your cousin moths, who will always remind you of this day, will carry a sign of having seen me, and it will be a testament to my power to all peoples. You will carry a marking on your back, signifying the great event that you have witnessed. I will also carry you out of the dry desert to fertile lands where you will flourish among the many green plants and trees.”

   Suddenly, marveled my new friend, there appeared on the wing of the moth, the Hebrew character which is called “noon" with the vowels pronounced like the word "book.” It is a letter that stands for the Hebrew word “miracle.” To this day, more than three thousand years later, the moth carries the sign of the great miracle it witnessed. 

     "Quite a story," I said, wondering why I had not heard it before. "Let me pay for this," said my friend, breaking into a catlike grin, as if I were the canary. I don't remember what happened to him. He got up, bid me farewell, and simply disappeared from the table.




2 comments:

  1. Wow. I really love this. How beautiful and thoughtful is our G-d.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible. May the L-rd bless you as he continues to show you all the miracles he has for you.

    ReplyDelete