that's write (haha) folks i'm officially applying for the June 2013 masters in counseling program pastors track at midamerican nazarene university. be excited!
Here's the 500-1000 (716 to be exact) word writing sample i'm turning in soon after i get some one to proof read it. Guess what, it's not due till December 1st. That's right, totally submitting this one early! I don't think i've actually ever done that... hu...
Jeremy M. Nienhuser
Masters in Counseling
Writing Sample
11.12.2012
My mother has been
the single most influential factor in how I listen and communicate. One of my very first memories was her
teaching me how to have a conversation.
I was sitting on the stairs at our church. She threw a ball to me and said ‘When someone
speaks to you it’s like they threw you a ball.
You catch it and throw it back by speaking back to them.’ We took turns speaking and throwing the ball
bank and forth until my mother was sure I understood the concept. This is only one example from many I could
choose from about how my parents, mainly my mother, helped me develop my
listening and communication skills.
Another example is from when I homeschooled.
As a homeschooler
I got to go on lots and lots of field trips.
Every field trip, or any time we got in the car for that matter, we
listened to Dr. Laura Schlessinger’s radio show. We would discuss the different
situations people called about. Mom
would explain why she agreed or disagreed with Dr. Laura’s advice and I would
ask her questions. Looking back I
realize Dr. Laura probably was not responding the way a counselor would, yet
these conversations with my mother helped me develop a sort of emotional type of
critical thinking and listening from an early age.
My last example comes again from my parents. It was not
uncommon for my parents to host meetings with our pastor and a couple
experiencing difficulty with their marriage in our home. If they thought it would help a friend’s
marriage, my parents would even let some men stay at our house a few months
while they worked on the relationship. Recently,
some of my own friends are going through similar relationship struggles and I
find myself lacking the skills and wisdom to speak into their situations. Now, I have decided I want to adopt my
parent’s commitment to helping marriages succeed and improve my ability to do
so.
This brings me to
what I would do with a masters in counseling.
Thinking about it reminds me of a verse from the love chapter in the
Bible. Paul says in first Corinthians 13:11,
‘When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned
like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.’ I believe that this program is my next step
in becoming the man I want to be.
Firstly, I am motivated
by how it will affect my personal relationships in my future family. The relational skills and knowledge I learn
now will help me communicate will with my future spouse and translate naturally
into my children as they develop. I want
to put in as much work into improving my communication now so I can be a great husband
and father when the time arrives.
Secondly, I will
use the skills I develop to strengthen my community by encouraging young men
into their full potential. When men are
emotionally healthy and secure, families can be emotionally healthy and
secure. Healthy and secure families will
lead to a healthier and more secure society.
It has been said that my generation is a fatherless generation. Young American men are in a crisis. Some statistics say that 18-30 year olds are
playing more video games than 13-17 year olds, sometimes 4-8 hours a day! I want to learn all I can about what is causing
this extended adolescence in order to combat it.
Tikkun Olam is a
Hebrew phrase that means to repair or redeem the earth. Ultimately, Jesus is the one who redeems the
earth but we each need to contribute our best.
There is so much pain and suffering in our world. It seems overwhelming, but if I focus on
doing everything to my best ability as unto the Lord I know he can use me to
change the world. That is how I want to
use the knowledge I gain by completing the masters in counseling program from
MidAmerican Nazarene University. To grow
emotionally, spiritually, and professionally, so I can more effectively work
with the Lord to help others grow into their full potential.
Have you found someone to proofread? I did have that dream that I edited your writing before 2 academic guys did.
ReplyDeleteahhh, well i committed to writing about it and it became work instead of something fun to study... Perhaps i'll get to it here someday!
ReplyDelete